Staff RN - CCU-ICU*$20,000 Sign-On Bonus*
Company: Providence St. Joseph's Health
Posted on: January 16, 2022
We are looking for a Staff Registered Nurse for the Ccu-Icu
Department at St. Mary Medical Center. Location: Apple Valley, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 72 Biweekly Hours Shift: 12-hour, Days
Job Summary: Within the identified roles of Practitioner, Teacher
and Leader, the staff Registered Nurse provides collaborative and
comprehensive care based on patient and/or family needs. The staff
Registered Nurse implements and evaluates care delivery based on
predicted outcomes while anticipating potential responses provides
assessment, treatment and care throughout the hospital and outlying
clinics. The staff Registered Nurse will practice in accordance
with all regulatory, professional, legal and hospital policies. The
Staff Registered Nurse works independently under limited
supervision directly reporting to the Unit/Department Supervisor,
Director of Assistant Vice President. Essential Functions:
- Performs a complete patient assessment that encompasses the
patients physical, physiological, emotional and spiritual
- Formulates a nursing diagnosis based upon the patient
assessment and develops and implements an individualized patient
care plan that is based upon collaboration with the patient and the
assessment of the patient.
- Performs procedures/treatments, administers medications and
provides nursing care based upon established clinical practice
(policy and procedures), the patients plan of care and physician
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the care plan through
observation of the patients physical condition and behavior, signs
and symptoms of illness and reactions to the treatment. Through
communication with the patient and the health team members,
including shift to shift report modifies the plan as needed.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements the individual
patient/family education plan together with the multidisciplinary
- Provides and documents patient/family education within the
Registered Nurses scope of practice. Communicates effectively with
members of the health care team with regard to patients condition
- Acts as the patient/family advocate as circumstances require by
initiating action to improve health care or to change decision or
activities which are against the interest or wishes of the patient
or family and by giving the patient/family the opportunity to make
informed decisions about health care before it is provided.
- Coordinates discharge planning of the simple patient and obtain
necessary orders for discharge.
- Delegates tasks to Team Members based on scope of practice,
competencies and qualifications.
- Effectively supervises care being given by Nurses Aides,
Licensed Vocational Nurses and Student Nurses.
- Participates in orientation of new employees and student
- Demonstrates critical thinking capabilities.
- Participates in continuing education programs offered by SMMC.
Assists and participates in committee work as requested. Is an
effective member of the healthcare team and participates in 75% of
department and unit staff meetings.
- Knows staff nurse is a team member in the Utilization
- Participates in multidisciplinary conferences.
- Documents patient specific data/information concisely and
thoroughly, according to hospital and regulatory agency
- Completed all CEU requirements in accordance with RN license
- Ccu/Icu, 601000-K01:
- According to the American Association of Critical Care Nurses
(AACN), standards of care and standards of professional performance
are written to establish a model of the roles and responsibilities
of the profession as a whole. It is the responsibility of each
individual healthcare system to incorporate these standards into
practice. The Critical Care Unit at SMMC is committed to provide
quality care and to adhere to the principles set by the AACN. This
addendum serves to establish and evaluate each individual nurses
progress toward our group goal.
- Accurately interprets dysrhythimas on EKG strips, and initiates
appropriate interventions. Acts as a resource peers in the
interpretation of EKG dysrhythimas.
- Assists physicians with special tests and procedures (chest
tube insertion, CVP line insertion, thoracentesis, Paracentesis,
pneumatic tourniquet, valley lab cautery, etc.).
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to care for patients with an
Intraortic balloon pump.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage patients potentially
requiring mechanical ventilation, accurately interpreting ABG and
lab values, maintain open airway with suctioning and positioning,
assess pulse oximetry, assess patient lung status, and assist
physician with Intubation.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to manage the acute MI/R/O
- Demonstrates the ability to manage the patient with a temporary
pacemaker. Recognizes normal and Abnormal functioning accurately
adjusts the rate, milliamperage or polarity of a temporary
pacemaker in accordance with the physicians orders.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and ability to manage the patients
on multiple IV drips, medications used in the Critical Care.
- Quality of Care:
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities within the
unit and/or hospital.
- Uses the information obtained from the PI data to improve
nursing practice or healthcare delivery in the unit and/or
- Individual Practice Evaluation:
- Participates in self-assessment during annual Performance
- Establishes goals based on the self-assessment that is relevant
to critical care nursing.
- Contributes to peer review as a part of the annual Performance
- Participates in mentoring relationships, can be with new
graduate nurses, new hire nurses, and/or nursing students.
- Participates in ongoing educational opportunities to maintain
or increase skills related to critical care.
- Seeks experiences that increase and/or maintain skills
necessary for practice in critical care.
- Provides formal or informal education to fellow nurses and/or
other disciplines involved in care of the critically ill
- Acts as preceptor, mentor, or shares special knowledge to
students and/or staff.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Acts as a patient advocate and assist others to develop skills
to advocate for themselves.
- Delivers care in a nondiscriminatory / nonjudgmental
- Uses social services and/or spiritual resources when making
- Initiates referrals as appropriate.
- Works with other disciplines to assure services in a timely
- Interacts with case management/team leader to ease transition
to next level of care.
- Models evidence based practice.
- Uses literature searches to determine best practice.
- Resource Utilization:
- Recognizes when patient care needs are not matched with
clinical competencies and takes steps to correct the
- Uses safely, effectiveness, availability, and cost when
choosing between two or more options that would have the same
- Assists the patient and/or family to become informed about the
cost, risks, and benefits of particular treatments or cares.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment (copier, fax,
personal computer, printer, telephone, nurse call system).
- Basic knowledge of nursing procedures.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic nursing and unit specific
- Demonstrates competencies in IV initiation and management.
Minimum Position Requirements: Education:
- Associate's Degree or equivalent educ/experience
- Coursework/Training - Other training as specific to unit
- Coursework/Training - Environmental Orientation within 30 days
- Coursework/Training - ICU competency within 90 days of
- Coursework/Training - Telemetry competency within 90 days of
- Current California Registered Nurse License by evidence of
Primary Source Verification.
- Current BLS.
- ACLS, Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification within 3
months of hire. New Nursing Graduates, ACLS within 6 months of
hire. Preferred Position Qualifications: Experience: Two (2) years
experience in a hospital environment St. Mary Medical Center (SMMC)
is an acute care hospital with 213 beds and over 1,750 employees
making it one of the region's largest employers serving communities
of the High Desert. The facility was constructed in 1956 and joined
the St. Joseph Health System in 1992.This facility has the only
Neonatal Care Unit in the High Desert Accredited by California
Children Services and has been granted approval as a Special
Hospital with the California Children's Services Community Neonatal
Intensive Care Unit. St. Mary was accredited as a primary Stroke
Receiving Center in 2018, the only stroke-receiving center in the
High Desert.The Services and Clinical Specialties offered at this
Hospital are Diabetes Education, Emergency Services, Heart and
Vascular Services, Imaging Services, Rehabilitation Services,
Respiratory Services, Robotic Surgery Services, Surgical Services,
Women & Children's Services and Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Company: St. Mary Medical Center Category: Critical Care Nursing
Req ID: R340385 id="detrack" defer
Keywords: Providence St. Joseph's Health, Victorville , Staff RN - CCU-ICU*$20,000 Sign-On Bonus*, Healthcare , Adelanto, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!